September 28, 2010

Eternal Security

And I give unto them eternal life; 
and they shall never perish, neither 
shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand. 
John 10:28
Definition
“Eternal Security” means: that when a person has embraced Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior, God immediately grants that person salvation and eternal life, and his salvation is “eternally secure”. Let me rename the doctrine to “God’s securing of believers” to make further definition. This  gives tremendous assurance to the truly born again Christians. It refers to that constant work of the Holy Spirit by which He brings to ultimate completion that salvation He began in the heart of the believer (cf. John 10:28-29; John 11:42; Romans 8:29-39; Romans 11:29; Philippians 1:6; 2 Thessalonians 3:3; 2 Timothy 1:12; 2 Timothy 4:18; Hebrews 3:14; Hebrews 6:11; Hebrews 7:25; Hebrews 10:22; 2 Peter 1:10).

At the time of conversion, the believer is being saved by God from the penalty of sin (Hebrews 10:10, Hebrews 10:14). In the present God keeps the believer---through the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit--- from continued sin that would lead him to damnation. In the future, God will finally set free the believer from the very presence of sin. It is God who preserves and keeps the believer until the end. Salvation is based on the faithfulness of God---not on the faithfulness of the believer. Also, it is the influence, operation and the power of the Holy Spirit that makes the believer to endure until he will be conform to the image of the only begotten Son of God (1 John 3:9; 2 Timothy 2:19; 1 John 3:2-3; Philippians 3:20-21; Romans 8:29).

God's Declaration
God declares true believers are eternally saved. One powerful statement reads, "All that the Father gives me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which has sent me, that of all which he has given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which sees the Son, and believes on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:37-40).

Let’s try another one, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give to them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand" (John 10:27-29). Several things we can learn from these declarations.
•True Christian believers will never be cast out or lost
•It is God’s will that believers are secure
•Believers possess eternal life
•Believers will never perish
•No one is able to rob the believers away from Him.
•God is powerful to keep the believers saved – He has the ability.

God's Character
This follows on the intent, promise, declaration, and established will of God as seen in the previous verses. God cannot lie; therefore, our salvation is grounded in God’s perfect, holy character. Sure, He warns, disciplines, and teaches you and me to live holy, but that is to correct and to perfect us (Hebrews 12:5-6; Hebrews 12:7-8). Another thought: we do not have the power to save ourselves; consequently, how could we have the power to keep ourselves saved? Eternal security is true!

Eternal Life
Eternal life, by definition, is everlasting life as well as a particular quality. Eternal and everlasting means it is a state of being that never has an end. If we could lose our salvation, then we would not have eternal life. We would need to call it intermittent, possible, periodic, partial, perhaps – anything but eternal (cf. John 3:16, John 3:36; John 5:24; John 6:51).

If eternal security is not true, then we never will have eternal life. Let me put it another way. If we have eternal life, then we necessarily have eternal security. Here is another thing to think of. If you can lose your salvation in this life, what will keep you from losing it in the next life? Eternal security is true!

Christ's Prayer
Jesus requested of the Father, “Father, I desire that they also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am, in order that they may behold My glory" (John 17:24). As to Christ’s prayer life, He stated, “Father, I thank Thee that Thou heardest Me. And I knew that Thou hearest Me always” (John 11:41-42).

Jesus Christ always had His prayers answered, and He asked that we be kept eternally secure regarding our salvation. If not, then we would need to say that Jesus may not have had His prayers answered. Frankly, I don’t want to accuse Jesus of unanswered prayer. Do you think eternal security is true? Well, let’s add more reasons.

Regeneration
Many doctrines are called into question if we can lose our salvation. Regeneration is one. It is defined as the act of God in which He implants within us new life which makes holy the governing tendency of our soul. We are made alive in Christ.

John wrote, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God” (John 1:12-13).

We are born into the family of God. That is a reality. It is permanent, and cannot be undone. Eternal security is true!

Legal
Three issues. First is the doctrine of justification. Defined, it is that legal action of God whereby based on the righteousness of Christ, He declares and treats the sinner as righteous. This experience is instant, complete and deals with the change in our standing before God (Romans 5:1; Romans 10:4; 2 Corinthians 5:21).

The whole issue boils down to this: who pays the penalty for our sin – Christ or us? We are told that Christ paid for all the sins for all time for all those who place their faith in Him (Hebrews 10:10-14). If, then, He fully paid the penalty for all our sin, how can any charge ever be placed against us (cf. Romans 8:31-34)? Further, we are justified by faith, never by our works (Galatians 3:24; Romans 3:20, Romans 3:28; Ephesians 2:8-9).

There is the legal issue of adoption. Paul wrote that we, “receive the adoption as sons” (Galatians 4:5; cf. Romans 8:15-17, Romans 8:23; Romans 9:4; Ephesians 1:5). This is another courtroom action which makes legal our new position in Christ. By regeneration we are born into the family of God; by adoption we are legally declared that exalted status.

The sealing of the Holy Spirit is another legal transaction (cf. Ephesians 1:13; Ephesians 4:30; 2 Corinthians 1:22). A seal indicates ownership, possession, protection, a guarantee of the finality and security of our salvation. God owns us, has invested in us, and will never lose His investment. Eternal security is true!

In the final analysis, our salvation is never nor ever has been based on what we do, but entirely upon what God has done for us through Christ. The only thing we can do is to receive the legal pardon God offers to us. And remember, God is the “Supreme Court Justice,” and His decision is final. There is no court of appeals above Him.

To wrap up, eternal security is true. Praise God! Let us enjoy what God has done for us! And, because of His gift to us, let us live our lives in love and obedience to Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ourThe problem with this belief is that it causes many to take their salvation for granted.. forgetting that it's about continually putting our trust in Jesus each day..if salvation was eternally secure there would be no such thing as apostasy and even Judas would make it to heaven..Jesus said, "IF a man abide NOT in Me, he is cast forth.." John 15:6

Anonymous said...

Nobody else might pluck a man out of God's hand, but definitely a man by his own freewill actions can pluck himself out of God's hands even after he had initially accepted saving grace and surrendered to Lord Jesus.....

Gary said...

Many Christians have said the following to themselves during a very difficult period in their life: “Am I really saved?” Here are the thought processes on this issue for an Evangelical and a Lutheran:

The Evangelical's Assurance of Salvation:

1. At age ___ I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior. At that moment I asked Jesus to come into my heart to be my Lord and Savior and to forgive me of my sins.

2. But since I am currently questioning my salvation, maybe I didn't "do it" correctly. Maybe I didn't fully understand what I was doing. Maybe I didn't fully repent. Maybe I didn't really have complete faith. Maybe I did it just because my friends were doing it. Maybe...

3. I don't know...maybe I should "do it" again, just to be 100% sure.

The Lutheran's Assurance of Salvation:

1. Have I been baptized into the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, thereby receiving God's promise of the forgiveness of my sins, salvation of my soul, faith, and eternal life?
Answer: Yes.

2. Have I outright rejected Christ as my Lord and Savior?
Answer: No.

3. Am I living a life of ongoing sin in willful disobedience and defiance of my Lord?
Answer: No.

Therefore, I know I am saved!

When your assurance of salvation is based on what GOD did and not what you did, it makes all the difference in the world!

http://www.lutherwasnotbornagain.com/2013/10/salvation-is-much-simpler-than.html